Friday, April 24, 2009

Alligator Pie

"Alligator pie, alligator pie, if I don't get some I think I'm gonna die!"

Do you remember reading that book to your kids - I do. I thought it was a delightful, imaginery poem. Imagine - eating alligator? Never! It was such a funny thought.

Never say never. Last night we settled into a KOA campground - early this time! Then we headed out to "Boutin's-A-Cajun Music and Dining experience". It was recommended for a true taste of Louisana - complete with bayou shack decor! As promised a group of musicians were strummin' up a beat as we entered. There was an accordian, banjo, guitar, drum and a real "down home"singer. And a large dance floor with "real" type dancing.

We weren't too hungry after our beignet spiritual experience (!) - so I ordered a crab bisque soup and Rip ordered fried alligator - our waitress said it was her favourite. I loved my soup, and considered for more than a few moments about the alligator. Not sure why I can't stomach the thought of venison - but alligator seemed an easier challenge- perhaps it's the image of Bambi ingrained from childhood!

Bottom line - the alligator was delicious; a bit like chicken and very tender and tasty.
Maybe the writer of that children's book wasn't kidding after all.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Travellers,
    I don't know Joyce and Rip - my Alligator Pie calls for cream cheese, sour cream, cool whip, lots of crushed oreo cookies, etc - doesn't taste like chicken at all!!!!! But glad you enjoyed your Alligator experience. Did the two of you kick up your heels on Boutin's large oak dance floor? Enjoy your day! Love, Hugs, Evelyn

    ReplyDelete