Friday, May 15, 2009

Hairy Raising!

Rip and I have returned to Arizona from our quick trip home for my high school reunion. It brought back a lot of memories! I met both my husbands, Rip and John, for the first time at my high school graduation dinner/dance!! Rip keeps asking me, did you meet anyone else that night?!! Let me think now :) Most people looked more or less the same as they did 40 years ago, (a few more pounds; or a few more wrinkles) except the men! The peach fuzz most of them had in high school was now for many full beards and moustaches. It took a few moments to recognize some of them under the forest cover. Of course that didn’t apply to the tops of those heads :)

Speaking of hairy, we have just completed the 120 mile Apache Trail just outside Phoenix. The road winds through the mountains with hairpin turns leading to the Roosevelt Dam. It is spectacular to see the red rock canyons and blooming cactus and streams. Rip said it was truly a spiritual experience. Amen to that. The road becomes unpaved, washboard contoured and clouds of dust spin off the tires. We see a couple of cars that have previously taken the deep plunge off the mountainside – of course there are no guard rails! There were many hairy spots that narrowed so we prayed no one else was coming the other way. Hair-raising. Lucky for us it is off season and the road was very quiet. I said, “at least we have our CAA card if the van quits” – yeah right! We stopped at a rare stagecoach stop to have “prickly pear ice cream”. Yummy! It is made from the pp cactus and is pink and a little tart compared to other ice creams. At the end of the Apache Trail Rip asked me if we had to go back the same way – no more hair-raising moments for today!

1 comment:

  1. So happy to see you did it. We did it with a 3/4 ton truck on the outside track and had to stop a couple of times to let oncoming traffic get through. Fortunately my mother was with us and prayed our way through the experience. I would do it again, in a smaller vehicle and in the opposite direction. I'm sure that most drivers don't see the true beauty of the ride as we're concentrating on the road.
    Love to both, Blackie

    ReplyDelete